DNA Isolation Kit

Amos Heckendorf nestgrp at world.std.com
Wed Feb 28 15:40:38 EST 1996

In article <3130E934.723C at hpb.hwc.ca>, styler at HPB.HWC.CA (Shaun Tyler) wrote:

> I have tried the Clonetech kit as well as several other DNA isolation
> kits.  If you are just using the DNA for routine PCR I think any of them
> should be suitable.  I would let the cost/prep make your desicion on
> which one to use.  However if you plan on using it for other
> applications, such as Southerns, library construction or long PCR, you
> may want to reconsider using a kit.  Although they all claim to yeild
> high quality DNA (ie. high MW) I have found that the preps generally
> contain a considerable amount of degraded DNA.  In addition the yield of
> DNA you get is marginal for some applications (you better hope everything
> works the first time around or you'll be making new preps).

 Shaun Tyler

The problem you seem to be experienceing is one of endonuclease
degradation of the DNA.  This is handled by all kit manufacturers
differently, but generally as a footnote.

If you use a kit that we would sell, we would caution you to load all the
sample all at once and do not stop for a vidio game or coffee during the
isolation.  Only after the adsorbed sample is washed is it reasonable to
take a break.  The DNA is of exceptionally good quality as a result and
can be sequenced on automated sequencers out to 800-1000 bp.  While it is
possible to use alternative techniques and to justify them on cost alone,
there are times when spending a small amount of money and time up front
saves a lot of time and money down stream.  Unfortunately for you you have
spent too much at both ends!

E-mail me if you want to investigate what we have.

Best regards,

Amos

--
Amos Heckendorf