digital cameras

The Wagner Lab ewlab at uci.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:06:40 EST 1996

Andy Phillips <andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:
>David D Morgan wrote:
>>
>> I've just recieved some details about a new digital camera (DC-40) from Kodak
>> that apparently digitises images (of gels etc) and stores them as TIFF files for
>> later analysis/printing out using your PC/MAC.
>>
>> Does anyone out there have experiences good/bad with this kind of system ?
>>

>It's probably not a good idea to buy the DC-40 scientific package at the moment,
>as Kodak have brought out a new, improved version (the DC-50), which includes zoom
>and more exposure control. I understand that this new camera will replace the
>DC-40 in the scientific kit.
>
>Andy

> Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
> Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
> Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
> Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
> WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html

Actually, last week we had a demo in the lab of the DC-40 setup.  For
what we want--pictures of gels--it is pretty good and gives good
resolution.  It comes with the camera, the lens system, an EtBr filter, 2
different sized hoods for UV, and analysis software.  I think the whole
systems costs around $1800.  It seems pretty fast--we tested out how
short of a UV exposure you can do and it came out to be 15 sec or so.
Also, on a powermac, getting an on screen image of your gel is fast as
well--maybe a bit slower than a polaroid.  The rep said that the IBM
version of the software won't be out until April or so.  The DC50 camera
is already out as a package as well and I think it is $800 more, but for
routine lab use as a gel documentation system, I think the DC40 is the
way to go.  I think the DC40 was recently reviewed in MacWorld and
received very high praises.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with Kodak
--

				Matthew Petroski
				mdpetros at uci.edu
				(714)824-6953