Background in In Situ Hybridizations

Reese Bolinger anmab2 at
Wed Feb 28 03:13:46 EST 1996

We have been trying to work up a protocol for performing in situ
hybridizations in Xenopus embryos following the protocol of Harland
(1991) and have been having problems with both probe and antibody
associated background.  Specifically, we are wondering:

1.  Do you need to use lamb serum (which we have been) or is sheep serum

2.  To reduce the probe-related background, should you RNAse longer or
with a higher RNAse concentration?

Any other suggestions you have on reducing background would also be
greatly appreciated.