Problems with Qiagen Maxipreps?

Reese Bolinger anmab2 at orion.alaska.edu
Wed Feb 28 03:35:09 EST 1996

Hi:

I haven't done many transfections, but have done a lot of Qiagen maxis.
I know that, for reasons unclear to me, that using home-made buffers,
even if made with the best quality reagents never seem to give DNA of
quite the same quality as that I get using the buffers straight from
Qiagen (based on OD 260/80 ratios), though they work fine for all of the
techniques that I routinely use.

More related to your question:  I received a flyer from Qiagen a short
while ago referring to the detrimental effect of endotoxin on
transfection efficiency, which could be part of the problem.  Qiagen has
recently started carrying a line of purification buffers that are
certified endotoxin free specifically for purifying plasmid DNAs for
transfection.

Hope this helps and good luck!

			                                               Reese