rt-pcr problems

William Sun william at neuro.usc.edu
Mon Jan 1 19:58:07 EST 1996

Hello all,

I have been trying to amplify messages using RT-PCR, but I don't get any
bands after the PCR.  I failed to see bands even with primers from
Clontech designed to amplify G3PDH.  The protocol that came with the
primers recommended that I use oligo-dT or random primers during the RT
step, but I just used the 3' PCR primer.  Has anyone out there have
success with RT-PCR without using oligo-dT or random priming?  I don't
understand why random or oligo-dT priming would give better results.

-William