pH of TE

Richard P. Grant rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 3 08:43:16 EST 1996

In article <DKJwvx.1Ix at info.swan.ac.uk>, you at somehost.somedomain  Gareth Jenkins writes:
> Someone in the lab has told me that you don't need to pH TE for DNA work
> but the pH of his TE is about 10, will this affect the DNA and any
> subsequent manipulations i.e. enzyme digestion or PCR?

don't know about affecting DNA.  It shouldn't affect subsequent ops because
you usually dilute out and buffer it anyway.

However, the problem never arises in our lab because we make up 1M stocks of
Tris-Cl at various pHs, which can then be used to make TE (and other buffers).
 This is easier than dissolving Tris each time you need to make TE.

1 litre of 1 M Tris goes a _long_ way. ;)

Richard
Richard P. Grant MA DPhil      rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oxford.
http://sable.ox.ac.uk/~lady0266
"Winds light to variable"