DNA from agarose - home made spin columns?

Mark Walberg walberg at simmons.swmed.edu
Thu Jan 4 13:52:29 EST 1996

This method has been published quite a few times-several
times in Biotechniques for example.
Just a few additions:
-If you have more than a tiny piece of agarose, you'll do
better by using a 2 ml tube instead of a 1.5 ml tube.
-You don't need glass wool. You can use aquarium
filtering wool, which is some kind of plastic that DNA
doesn't stick to very much.  You can but a million year
supply for $2 from any pet store. Use the tinyest
possible amount of the wool.
- You don't really need to siliconize or sterilize your
tubes.
-The needle hole doesn't need to be so big.  You can use
a much smaller needle.  The DNA will be fine.
-I've never worried about removing the ethidium.  I don't
think you need to either.
-I've always frozen the gel slice after it is in the
tube, but I have no idea if it helps.  It is easier for
me to keep freezing them than it is to test whether or
not it makes any difference.
Its easy, fast and cheap and it works.
walberg at simmons.swmed.edu