Antisense and sensibilities

Mick Jones mjones at rpms.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 09:04:59 EST 1996

Hi netters

Happy New Year to one and all.

5'-AAGCTTCTACTGAGT-3'  DNA strand 1
3'-TTCGAAGATGACTCA-5'  DNA strand 2

5'-AAGCUUCUACUGAGU-3'  RNA strand 3

In my book the following nomenclature seems okay;

Strand 1 = SENSE strand (because it is the same sequence as the transcribed RNA [strand 3])
Strand 2 = ANTISENSE strand (this strand can bind to in vivo transcribed RNA, form a duplex and
inhibit gene expression, i.e. Antisense therapy).

In the old days Strand 2 was called the CODING strand because it was the DNA strand that was the
template used to make the transcribed RNA (strand 3), and hence strand 1 was NON-CODING.

The problem seems to stem from treating a gene as two strands of DNA, rather than as a DNA
duplex.

Mick

Mick Jones                      Tel: 081-740-3328 (+44-81-740-3328)
Department of Virology          FAX: 081-743-8331 (+44-81-743-8331)
RPMS,  Du Cane Road              Email: mjones at rpms.ac.uk
London,  W12 0NN,  UK          URL: http://www.rpms.ac.uk/virology/virolhome.html
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."   Ace Rimmer (Red Dwarf)
"Crackin' toast, Gromit."    Wallace (The Wrong Trousers)