TA-cloning patented?

mc97 at musica.McGill.CA mc97 at musica.McGill.CA
Wed Jan 3 10:03:08 EST 1996

>   shsu at HEART.MED.UTH.TMC.EDU (Song-Kun Shyue) writes:
>          Does anyone knows whether the method by using T-vector to subclone
>  PCR products patented or not? Is there any company sale similar products
>  except the Invitrogen? Stratagene using enzyme as seletion, I don't know
why
>  no other company sale similar products? I couldn't fine any ad recently.
>
>  Song

I don't know whether the principle is patented, but Invitrogen is certainly not the
only company that cells TA cloning vectors. Promega has a modificaiton of the
pGEM vector, pGEM-T, which can be used for cloning of PCR products. It is in a
funny place in their catalogue -with PCR related products and not with the other
vectors. Look at page 166 in their 1994-95 catalogue. I also vividly recall seen
ads from at least one more company selling vectors based on the same
principle.

Constantin Polychronakos
McGill University
Montreal, Quebec, Canada