Antisense and sensibilities

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Thu Jan 4 14:02:52 EST 1996

In article <4cha04$v2f at>, jtornow at wrote:

> When I teach this in my Genetics class, I refer to the DNA strand with
> the same sequence as the mRNA as the sense strand, and the other DNA
> strand (which is complementary to the mRNA) as the template strand.
> The students rarely get confused by this nomenclature, as it reflects
> the actual functions of the two strands.
> Joanne Tornow
> University of Southern Mississippi

Not that it matters, but I think that this is a pretty good way to
describe the two strands of DNA.  Not historically accurate, but it makes
sense and seems to be close to the concensus.

Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.   Brown U/Roger Williams Medical Center,  Providence, RI.
Phone: 401-456-5672     Fax: 401-456-6569     e:mail: Stephen_Lasky at
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization.  John O'Hara.