Losing our SENSEs

Robert Horton horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Fri Jan 5 18:10:34 EST 1996

Ken Howe (howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU) wrote:

[deletia]
: An awareness of this controversey and useful dialogue for the
: clarification and restriction of the utilization of these terms in
: question would be more useful than all of the reference flinging we've
: been doing (my deference to those who've been trying to
: address these points and their suggestions, some of which I've adopted).

"The first step to recovery is admitting we have a (nomenclature) problem."

[...]

: I must admit that it seems a shame that textbooks can become confusing,
: contradictory or just plain wrong.  The reality of the matter is that the
: printed word, in science, is often never the final word.  That's why we
: have updated versions, corrections, and retractions, not to mention
: paradigm shifts)...

And (electronically "published" and MASSIVELY "peer-reviewed") newsgroups/FAQs!

-Bob