Tropilon Plus Membrane SWAP Update

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Jan 5 15:35:01 EST 1996

Last year I posted a message warning netters about a membrane SWAP done by
Tropix with their Tropix Chemiluminescent detection kit called Southern Light.
For more information about what happened and the response of Tropix, see the
article below or you can search the archives for my posting to find out what
the problem was.

@article{Hengen1995Dectibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Floaties in the gene pool",
volume = "20",
number = "12",
pages = "522-523",
month = "dec",
year = "1995"}

Recently, I did a side-by-side comparison of six different membranes using the
same kit and my proven protocol of semi-dry transfer. The results follow:

Membrane                               Result
--------                               ------
1. The "Old" Tropilon Plus Membrane     ****    Excellent Membrane
2. The "New" Tropilon Plus Membrane     -       No Bands, Not Acceptable
3. BioRad Zeta Probe                    *       Total loss of some bands
4. BioRad Zeta Probe GT                 **      Spotty bands
5. S&S Nytran Plus                      ***     Some spotty bands
6. MSI Magna Charge                     ****    Best Membrane (1st choice)

**** = Excellent
***  = Good
**   = Okay