Carrier DNA inhibits transfection

Dr.Sailesh Surapureddi SaiSu at MCB.LiU.SE
Fri Jan 5 14:52:22 EST 1996

>To: methods at
>From: david_levy at (David N. Levy)
>Subject: Carrier DNA inhibits transfection
>Date: 5 Jan 1996 17:18:24 GMT
>I have recently tried using sheared salmon sperm DNA (Sigma,
>salt) as a carrier in calcium phosphate-BES trasfection if Vero
>and have found that it efficiently inhibits transfection of
>luciferase reporter plasmids.  My shearing looks good on an
>gel.  Is there a contaminant present that inhibits transfection?
>have not tried boiling the DNA yet.  Any experience with this
>David N. Levy
>Division of Molecular Genetics
>Dana-Farber Cancer Insitute
>Boston, MA 02115
>david_levy at

The phenolic (for that matter even Ethanol) residue left over in
the preparation of SS-DNA, kills the transformations and
High boiling usually helps in evaporation of Cholorom and
Ethanoic contaminations. so it might help you actually.