Sense/Antisense nonsense

Richard Moldwin rmoldwin at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 5 09:37:29 EST 1996

(Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post; I'm using
the new Netscape beta to reply, and its doing strange
things)

This sense/antisense stuff is making my head spin.  When
we first started designing antisense oligos, we had the
same problems of conflicting usages in the literature.
Can't we abandon the sense/coding terminology completely?
How about:

For DNA:
	Beta Actin Transcribed Strand
	Beta Actin Non-transcribed Strand

(The gene name is important in case the opposite strand is
also transcribed)

For mRNA:
	Beta Actin mRNA
	cDNA to Beta Actin mRNA
		-or-
	Beta Actin cDNA oligo

(The latter would be the same as the confusing beta actin
antisense)

I assume that there is a consensus that cDNA means a copy
of DNA complementary to the mRNA.

--Rich