Sense/Antisense debate

Robert Horton horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Mon Jan 8 00:17:39 EST 1996

Paul N Hengen (pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov) wrote:

: I think if we are going to agree to meet on the net, we could do it by
: 1.) using the e-mail system and posting here, or 2.) use the BioMOO which
: would be more interactive (a live telnet conference), but this might keep
: some people away. Either way, if there is enough interest in this kind of
: thing I can help set it up. Let me know if you all want to do it and I will
: contact the people in charge of the BioMOO to reserve the conference room.

[see http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~mercer/htmls/BioMOOHomePage.html]

I think this would be a fine excuse, err-- reason, to have a BioMOO
conference.

We should probably do the groundwork in this group, though, like
decide on an agenda, parliamentary rules, etc. Maybe something like
this:

Pre-meeting questions:

1) Should we try to come up with an Official Recommendation of the
Virtual Committee, or just take a vote, and announce how popular each
alternative is?

2) If we decide to make an Official Recommendation, what rules shall
we use to decide what constitutes a quorum, how much of a
majority/plurality is needed to be Official, etc.?

3) Should we work out a ballot here before the conference starts? This
could include summaries of the arguments for/against each suggested
term. Or should we use the conference to put together a ballot, and
take votes by e-mail?

4) Do we (mostly) agree that, due to conflicting historical
definitions, use of the terms "sense" and "anti-sense" as applied to
DNA are a Bad Idea? If so, the meeting could focus on which terms to
use. If we do not agree that our goal is to come up with better terms,
then it might be difficult to come to any conclusion at a meeting.

5) Should Paul Hengen be our ChairDude/Most Exhausted Grand High
PoohBah/Secretory-General?

6) Should we start a new BioMOO Meeting thread, for the benefit of
those who gave up on this one long ago?

---
Robert M. Horton
http://134.84.47.3                        Have a :) day