PCR on whole blood

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Tue Jan 9 19:19:55 EST 1996

horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu (Robert Horton) wrote:
>>Lo Wing Ip Anthony (alo at b2.hkstar.com) wrote:
>>: Hi,
>>
>>: 	As a diagnostic lab, I would like to perform PCR type of
>>: amplification on whole blood in order to avoid extra step for the
>>: technicans. I come across an article of using Tth for that. Just wonder
>>: whether anyone had an experience with this polymerase?
>>
>This isn't about Tth, but if you're interested in PCR from whole blood, you
>should see
>
>    Walsh PS.  Metzger DA.  Higuchi R.
>    Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing
>    from forensic material.
>    Biotechniques.  10(4):506-13, 1991 Apr.
>
>---
>Robert M. Horton
>http://134.84.47.3                        Have a :) day

While I haven't tried it PerkinElmer's publication "Amplifications : May 1989, Issue 2" has a method authored by Russel Higuchi.

Hope this helps

*                                                            *
*   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                        #     #     *
*   Key Centre for Applied                      # # # # #    *
*     & Nutritional Toxicology                   # Q Q #     *
*   RMIT University- City Campus                 #  O  #     *
*   GPO Box 2467V                                 # ~ #      *
*   Melbourne Vic 3001                           # <-> #     *
*     Tel : (03) 9660 3136                     # #      # #  *
*     Fax : (03) 9663 6087                     # #      # #  *
*   email : p.falckh at rmit.edu.au                #   \/   #   *
*   "No matter how tall your grandfather         #  /\  #    *
*      was, you have to do your own growing"    0000  0000   *