monovalent streptavidin

R Hanemaaijer R.HANEMAAIJER at novell.pg.tno.nl
Tue Jan 9 07:01:44 EST 1996

Hi netters,

Avidin or streptavidin have a high affinity for biotin. A mature
(strept)avidin molecule is multivalent, since it has four biotin
binding sites.
We are looking for monovalent streptavidin. Does anybody know if
there's a company that sells such a molecule. A second question
is: Does anybody know if mono- or multivalent streptavidin can be
or has been produced in prokaryotic or eukaryotic expression systems?
We assume that only a few amino acid residues are essential for
multimerization of avidin core units. Is known whether mutations of
some amino acid residues will disrupt tetramer formation without
affecting biotin binding.
Thanks,

Roeland Hanemaaijer
Gaubius Lab, Leiden, NL