How many restriction sites fragments per genome?

Geoff Scopes geoff at advbtech.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 05:20:43 EST 1996

I am planning to ligate linkers to restriction digested human genomic
DNA. In order to ensure I am adding an excess of linkers I would like to
do a rough calculation of the number of restriction fragments that will
be generated.
Does anybody know of a formula to calculate the number of restriction
fragments given the size of the genome (I was going to use 3x10+9bp) and
the size of the restriction site (6bp in this case)?
Or is there a simpler method to calculate the amount of linkers required
for a given amount of DNA?
--
Geoff Scopes