RNAse for phage preps

WWW-Brower auf bigapple/1.Stock www at bigapple.biochem.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Jan 12 06:43:57 EST 1996

John and Juqun,
thank you for the answers. I must say that I am quite sure that I
protect my DNA from myself and I prepared the RNAse more or less the way
you suggest.
I am also sure that it is indeed the RNAse because I ran a gel with
samples that were treated with everything I was using but one component
and only the lane without RNAse looked o.k.

My impression is that it is not a DNAse problem but rather something
that binds to the DNA in the gel and inhibits formation of bands. I had
the same experience that you mentioned, John, with crude RNAse years ago
but could not remember the exact source. If my explanation for the
strange behavior is correct then it is possible that this phenomenon
changes from batch to batch. It would therefore be very useful for
companies to just just screen for it and market an in-between quality
type RNAse for a reasonable price or for netters to publish batch
numbers.

Are there other people who can confirm my observation or have other
ideas to explan it?

Rainer Blaesius
Inst. f. Biochemie
Fahrstr.17