Anyone doing Maxam-Gilbert chemistry?-help!

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 17 08:37:28 EST 1996

Dear netters,
I have got a very GC-rich region to sequence that DNA polymerases
do not like. The best of all was Thermosequenase so far, however,
ambiguities still remain. As I hate doing all this "optimization",
I decided to go for the good ol' Maxam-Gilbert chemistry. To my
greatest surprise Sigma, Aldrich and Fluka no longer make anhydrous
hydrazine! Is there any way to do the chemistry these days, other
than
-redistilling hydrazine from h-hydrate
-doing it with hydrazine-hydrate

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Alexander Kraev, PhD                     Internet:    kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch