M13 cloning problem

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 04:49:52 EST 1996

In article <DLC4F5.EoB at ncifcrf.gov>, Paul N Hengen
<pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov> writes

>: Electroporation is very efficient at curing plasmids but I would have
>: expected the F' to stay in.
>
>Is this your own observation? Could you please give more details or a
>reference?

One of mol.biologists at a previous job used to cure plasmids regularly
this way. Swears by it. We find consistently that if we are zapping a
plasmid into a strain that already contains a compatable plasmid we get
much better duel selection if we add in more of the compatable plasmid
as well.

The M13 has sorted itself by just using chemically competent cells. I'll
pass on why electropopration gave us a problem.

Duncan