Electroporation nutrient requirements of E. coli

Greg Galloway galloway at dogwood.botany.uga.edu
Wed Jan 17 09:04:34 EST 1996

Hello,

I want to use electroporation to transform a line of mutant E. coli cells in
order to screen for my genes of interest.  The screen requires the cells to be
grown on a minimal media (M9 with required amino acids and 0.4% glucose in
this case), which means that I can not use the standard SOC or 2YT media
immediately after electroporation.

My question is, what are the "nutritional requirements" for optimal recovery
of E. coli following electroporation?  Is there something I can add
(e.g. a certain ion?  more glucose?  glycerol?)  to the M9 minimal media to
increase the recovery rate and improve my transformation efficiency?

Thanks in advance!

  -Greg Galloway-

Greg Galloway
galloway at dogwood.botany.uga.edu