what's an easy way to look for cell death?

Michael Levin mlevin at husc7.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 18 16:35:24 EST 1996

    I am looking for a simple/cheap way to check for cell death (the
apoptotic kind). I study early chick embryos and have the idea that
there may be some selective cell death going on. I want to take a
look, but since this is just a wild shot-in-the-dark hunch, I can't
justify spending $300 on a kit.  Is there any kind of protocol for
doing a quick and dirty stain or something? If it looks like there's
something there, then my boss will buy a kit, or whatever else is
necessary.  Specifically, I have a bunch of early chick embryos, which
are basically just small (0.5cm diameter) circles, consisting of only
two cell layers. These are in wholemount (not section), and are not
fixed to a slide but rather float in a little PBS. Can someone please
point me to a protocol? Please email me at mlevin at husc.harvard.edu.
Thanks!

Mike Levin