Dominic Voon dvoon at
Fri Jan 19 00:42:01 EST 1996

It could also be due to the fact that the ssDNAs assume more than one
stable conformation under the conditions you ran the gel. When I was doing
'cold' SSCP, I was able to remove these ghost bands by lowering the
electrophoresis temperature to 4 C. In my (limited) experience, these bands
can also result from partial denaturation. In some cases, I detect a
smear of ghost bands using NaOH as the denaturant but not so when using
methylmercuric hydroxide. It's probably a combination of these
factors, but the former is likely to be more significant.

Anyway, just my $0.02's worth. Hope you'll find it useful.