Makes SENSE to me

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Thu Jan 18 17:56:21 EST 1996

In Article <Pine.3.89.9601060258.F20549-0100000 at mistral.ERE.UMontreal.CA>,
ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA ("Ferland Louis H.") wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Stephen R. Lasky wrote:
[snip]

>> Actually, it was difficult because it is not historically correct, but I
>> am tired of this arguement.  Personally I think that the confusion is due
>> to a few instructors for whom the original definitions were not intuitive
>> enough, so they just said "oh, this is what they must mean" and passed on
>> this mis-information to a whole generation of molecular biology students
>> who didn't read the original texts themselves.

I agree with Dr. Lasky. 'Somebody' decided they didn't like the historical
terms and introduced their own version, generating confusion, particularly
for some of the more-recently trained biologists. (I'm also tired of the
argument!)

>> But, I am tired of arguing about it so if that's what people want to call
>> sense and antisense they won't get an arguement from me.  However, that
>> doesn't mean that I will use the incorrect terms until some authorized
>> group decides upon the new convention.

I prefer to use (what I believe are) the correct terms too. However, we do
need a convention in this case, as there are now two sets of terms in use
which are essentially opposites. This is absurd!

>FERLAND
>Sad story, but I understand your weariness. Wrong cannot be made to be
>right, but it can unfortunately be bullied into being accepted as the
>norm. As the saying goes, "Truth is a lie commonly agreed upon". I
>foolishly thought scientific endeavor to be immune from that.
>
>Should an "authorized group" such as it is referred to be formed, please
>let me know. I'd like to contribute my penny's worth.

IUPAC! Any better ideas?

    Tracy

Thomas T. Aquilla, Ph.D.         .***.   .***.           .***.   .***.
Molecular Physiology and Biophysics    * | | | *       * | | | * | | | *
University of Vermont Medical College*   * | | | *   * | | | *   * | | | *
Health Science Complex, Given E-213*       * | | | * | | | *       * | | | *
Burlington, VT 05405-0068    '***'           '***'   '***'           '***'