Antisense and sensibilities

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Sat Jan 20 03:15:07 EST 1996

c> >> In Article <4ceqpp$htv at jeeves.usfca.edu>, chihara
<chihara at alm.usfca.edu> > wrote:

> >> I have. Sense and anti-sense, coding and non-coding, plus and minus, it just
> >> doesn't matter: people get confused sometimes because there are two
> >> anti-parallel strands. Changing the terminology (hasn't and) won't help,
> >> IMO. Consider it part of the weeding-out process.
> >>     tracy
> >>

> >Not satisfactory for me. You're letting them down.
>
> Yeah, you already said that once. My students think otherwise. If you were
> one of my students, maybe you'd have the right to say this. I really don't
> appreciate your insinuation that I'm not doing my job well.

Dr. Aquilla,

I sincerely apologize for my poorly worded comment. I did not mean to
insinuate anything about the quality of your teaching. Only, the phrase
"weeding-out process" made me jump: while I do understand (and observe)
that not all students are equally brilliant (and profs and others too,
for that matter...), I think the ones in difficulty need MORE HELP, not
to be abandoned in their failure (which is, as I understand it, what the
"weeding-out process" means).

Again, apologies for my lack of precision which opened the way to the
interpretation you gave to my previous post.

> Thomas T. Aquilla, Ph.D.         .***.   .***.           .***.   .***.
> Molecular Physiology and Biophysics    * | | | *       * | | | * | | | *
> University of Vermont Medical College*   * | | | *   * | | | *   * | | | *
> Health Science Complex, Given E-213*       * | | | * | | | *       * | | | *
> Burlington, VT 05405-0068    '***'           '***'   '***'           '***'

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719