Coating-pH ?

Svend Kjaer kjaer at biobase.dk
Sat Jan 20 11:02:14 EST 1996

Normally, when I coat an microtitertray with protein either for ELISA or
phagepanning, I do it in 50 mM NaHCO3 pH=9.6 because I read it in a proto-
col somewhere and everybody else seem to be doing it that way.
 Alternatively, PBS is commonly used as a coating buffer.
My question then goes, what is the rationale behind these coating buffer pH's
and has anyone got a special coatingbuffer that works especially well, i.e.
ensures high binding, for basic proteins ?

Thanks

Svend Kjaer
Division of biostructure
Dept. of Chemistry