Commercial pre-made Notherns

john brennand john.brennand at gbapr.pharmaceuticals.zeneca.tmailuk.sprint.com
Mon Jan 22 05:05:21 EST 1996

Yeah - I noticed the same phenomenum with the Clontech northern blots
when using the gapdh "control" probe.

I had an ultimately unsatisfactory dialog with them but the bottom line
seems to be:-

gapdh mRNA levels do vary between tissues quite significantly, eg muscle
is very high - so this probe is no indicator of RNA loading.  They said
that they were sure that loadings were pretty equal on the blots - as
judged by staining and actin probing.  Ive posted on this before saying
I dont think that that is a good control either but -

I think that the blots are probably ok because if you probe them with a
"true" housekeeping gene control probe, such as HPRT, the signals are
fairly even

John