Is Insect 28 and 18S banding different ?

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Mon Jan 22 20:01:19 EST 1996

lo BioNetters,

  I've just started extracting insect RNA and noticed that all my
denaturing gels show different banding to that seen with either animal
or human RNA; namely that the ratio of 28:18S bands in human and animal
tissues is about 2:1 but in my insect RNA they are either 1:1 or the 18S
band is slightly greater than the 28S band.  The band are distinct with
no smearing hence no degradation.

  When I look at the literature I also notice that the insect banding is
similar to that seen with RNA extracted from plants.

  Is this the case, or am I doing something wrong ??!!

  Thanks in advance

  Patrick

*                                                                    *
*   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD										          						  	 		#     #     *
*   Key Centre for Applied & Nutritional Toxicology     # # # # #    *
*   RMIT - City Campus                                   # Q Q #     *
*   GPO Box 2467V                                        #  o  #     *
*   Melbourne  Vic  3001                                  # ~ #      *
*   Telephone  : 03 9660 3136                           #       #    *
*   Fax No.    : 03 9663 6087                          #	#     # #   *
*   Email      : p.falckh at rmit.edu.au                  ##       ##   *
*			"No matter how tall your grandfather                  # /\ #     *
*     was, you have to do your own growing"              ooO  Ooo    *