northerns - sharp bands

Tom Vasicek tvasicek at
Tue Jan 23 08:45:30 EST 1996

In article <tvasicek-2201961140200001, I wrote about fuzzy bands resulting
from the bands running tilted in the gel.  I received an email request for
more information:
>A couple of questions:
>How large are the gels?
>At what voltage are you running them at?
Thank you for your interest.
I use a 14 cm gel, 0.8 % agarose, 0.4 cm thick.  The inter-electrode
distance is 23 cm.  I have tried three to four V/cm (70 V to 95 V) with
the same tilted bands resulting each time.  I have also tried various
buffer levels in the box, ranging from 2 mm to 4 mm above the gel
surface.  My gel box is not stingy with buffer -- it holds a liter when
the buffer level is two mm above the surface of the gel.
! Thomas J. Vasicek, Ph.D.                         tvasicek at !
! Department of Molecular Biology                              FAX:    609/258-3345 !
! Princeton University                                                Phone:  609/258-2899 !
! Princeton, New Jersey  08544                                                                          !