Promega Magic

Michael Benedik benedik at uh.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:08:59 EST 1996

In article <199601231510.HAA10672 at bass.hooked.net>
dwalker at MAILHOST.HOOKED.NET (David W Walker) writes:

> I have heard from reliable sources that the Promega Wizard Kit does not
> produce DNA as pure as the previous Magic Kit did.  I was told that a sales
> person said that Promega had to change its kit because of a patent
> infringement.  Does anyone know whose patent that might have been?  The
> Magic kit worked very well for cleaning up DNA after agarase treatment for
> microinjection into mice, and I would like to continue using a product
> based on the same chemistry.
>
> David Walker

The patent is held by Biorad and they forced Promega to change
formulations. However Biorad does not (or at least didn't last time I
checked) sell kits similar to the Promega ones, and the free samples I
got from biorad didn't work well at all. So everyone got screwed  in
that deal

Michael Benedik
Department of Biochemical Sciences
University of Houston