Actin mRNA sizes and alpha-beta %identity

Tom Vasicek tvasicek at watson.princeton.edu
Tue Jan 23 09:11:13 EST 1996

What are the sizes of mouse alpha and beta actin mRNAs?
Are there multiple mRNAs for each?
Is alpha-actin expressed significantly in liver?
Are alpha and beta actin mRNAs similar enough  for an alpha probe to give
significant signal on liver?
Does anyone have the answers to these questions handy or could someone
direct me to (a) review(s) that answer these questions concisely?
After several hours of perusing the literature and comparing the partial
sequences in the databases I have the impression that there are at least
two different mouse alphas that  share about 85% nucleotide identity.

Thanks,

tv
Thomas J. Vasicek, Ph.D.                         tvasicek at watson.princeton.edu
Department of Molecular Biology                              FAX:    609/258-3345
Princeton University                                                Phone:  609/258-2899
Princeton, New Jersey  08544