Non-fat dry milk...really non-fat?

Mark Solomon Mark_Solomon at QM.Yale.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:55:02 EST 1996

<ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > When milk is dried, the non-fat solids prabably constitute no more
> > than 5% of the original liquid weight. If 0.5% fat milk is dried, the
> > solids  it would be about 10% fat by weight. I think that this would
> > make the milk granuals very gooey. I suspect that the fat content of
> > non-reconstituted non-fat dry milk is much less that 5%, my guess is
> > no more than 1% fat. In fact, to make a stable storable dried milk
> > product, the fat must be removed nearly completely.

A quick run to the Stop and Shop box on our chemical shelves indicates (in
round numbers) that there is less than 1 gram of fat per 90 grams of
powder.  Assuming they know how to round, I'd call this less than
approximately 0.5% of powder. This figure corresponds to ~0.05% after
adding water, indicating that at least 98% of the fat has been removed.
For the reasons given by others, and for Truth in advertizing, I'd bet
that the fat content is actually even lower.

Mark Solomon
Yale University