the most outrageous ripoff

Duke Groebe drg at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu
Wed Jan 24 10:27:18 EST 1996

In article <4dvdru$g7g at pith.uoregon.edu>, Ted Michelini
<tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Judy,
> 	Yes that is quite high... Perhaps they supply the NIH? I ran into a
> company which sold std autoclaved H20 for $20 a liter and LB plates for
> $30 a sleeve, for that matter Perkin Elmer sells Taq polymerase for
> ~$0.08/ng, or about $80,000,000/gm, I guess if there is a demand...
> I find it truly amazing they actually told you what it is! Try that with
> Stratagene!  Keep your sense of humor, we need it in this field
>
> Regards,
> Ted Michelini

I once ordered 5 ug of BaculoGold from Pharmingen and, on a whim,
calculated the cost per pound of the linear DNA.  Came out to something
like $18,000,000,000/lb.  A million here and a million there and pretty
soon you're talking about a lot of money!

Duke

The opinions expressed here are my own.  MY very own and NOBODY else's!  I
THOUGHT OF THEM FIRST, HA HA, AND YOU DIDN'T!!  SEE!?  There's my name up
there!  And the date - Ooohh, the DATE!  That's important!  HEE HEE, I'M
GONNA BE RICH!  DO YOU HEAR ME!?  RICH!!  HA HA!!  They're mine...heh, heh,
all mine....  GOD!  I'm so smart!