DNA in agarose gels

Tim Barnett t.barnett at path.utas.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 21:33:40 EST 1996

In article <01I0B0V4UTZ68WX8SO at MSSCC.MED.UTAH.EDU>, reese at MSSCC.MED.UTAH.EDU (Van Reese) wrote:

> I have been doing PCR for a short time and seperating the
> products on 2.5 % Metaphore agarose. In a couple of samples we
> have found a band of great interest to us. I recall reading about
> a few products which will easily purify the DNA from gel bands.
> Has anybody had experience with these products? Any
> recommendations?

I use the following protocol for purifying DNA from agarose and it works well:

1.  Run DNA on LMP agarose, excise band and melt at 70C for 5-10min.
2.  Cool for 30s at RT and add an equal volume of TE buffered phenol.
3.  Spin for 5min in a microfuge, remove aqueous phase and repeat extraction.
4.  Extract with phenol/chloroform, EtOH precipitate.

Tim

--
Tim Barnett                             fax:   61-02-354833
Department of Pathology                 phone: 61-02-354825
University of Tasmania                  email: t.barnett at path.utas.edu.au
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
AUSTRALIA