Li-Cor vs ABI Sequencers

Robert G. Hamilton rhamilto at mc.edu
Thu Jan 25 20:26:13 EST 1996

We use a LiCor 4000L, and find that it is very easy to use, and
consistently gives us at least 800bp reads per run, with a run taking
about 16 hours. The gels are very easy to make. The templates we have
used have been PCR products and plasmids isolated useing Quigen and
Wizard miniprep kits. The device is very reliable. The major limitation
is turnaround time in ordering labeled primers. Our undergraduate
students are able to use this machine, with the only problem being the
difficulty in loading the gel. We have never had any sort of problem with
our machine, however if we did, service is inexpensive. LiCor support is
absolutely the best the I have ever experienced.