Why is it _glacial_ acetic acid??? and NaAc question

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:06:01 EST 1996

In article <4e8jg4$39d at taco.cc.ncsu.edu>,
   Susan Jane Hogarth <sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
-->subject line says it all...
-->
-->Thanks for the info - this is driving me crazy.
-->While we're on the subject, is it generally difficult to get a 3M sol'n of
-->NaAc? I made one yesterday, and it keeps recrystallizing (lovely crystals).

1. Put one in the fridge and you'll see it...
It freezes down forming _glacial_ crystall. BTW, glacial acetate slowly get
water in, decreasing it's concentration. That's the way to make to restore the
proper conc.: aspirate water after it freezes, warm up, and you have it glacial
again.

2. Don't remember any troubles with 3M NaAc.

- Dima