sequencing gels won't stick!!

Kimberly Ann Winkeler kwinkel at curly.cc.emory.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:23:14 EST 1996

Hi all!

I just wanted to pick your brains about getting my sequencing gels to
stick to Whatman paper after running the gel.  I run 8% gels (I know
that's high, but it gives me great resolution), and on rare occasions
(although very frequently lately :( ), the gel refuses to stick to the
paper.  Any ideas why?  The only oddball thing I can think of is that
maybe it's weather related (lower humidity in the winter); I know that
sounds corny, but I'm stumped.  I guess the more important question is:
How do I get the gel to reliably stick to the paper EVERY time?  Any and
all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Kim Winkeler
Emory University
kwinkel at emory.edu