PCR on human tissues

lcwilliams at medusa.unm.edu lcwilliams at medusa.unm.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:26:32 EST 1996

A good resource of contamination information is found in "PCR - A
Practical Approach" edited by M.J. McPherson, P.Quirke, G.R. Taylor.
Briefly, they suggest that the PCR mixture, without the cDNA, can be
exposed to short-wave (254 and 300 nm together or just 254nm)
UV radiation to cross link any contamination.  However
primers and Taq polmerase are adversely affected
by long exposure to UV; therefore, they should excluded from the treatment.
	I am also doing PCR and contamination is rare with proper handling
and care.  Good Luck!

Laurie Williams
University of New Mexico Hospital
Pediatrics