Cell Culture Question

L. Bastian yacman at homer24
Sun Jan 28 23:31:06 EST 1996

Simon Dawson (Simon.Dawson at nott.ac.uk) wrote:
: Hi,
:    A question about cell cuture techniques. Well, one technique in particular
: actually.
:   I have some Swiss 3T3 cells and I would like to make them go quiescent (i.e.
: stationary phase). After all (or most anyway) of the cells appear to be
: quiescent I would like to reinduce growth again and monitor the production of
: certain proteins via Western blotting etc.
:   What I want to ask is: Have any of you out there got any methods that you
: like for doing just this sort of thing?
:   I dont think I need to make my cells arrest in any particular phase of the
: cell cycle, I just want to be able to make them stop growing and then
: re-initiate 'normal' growth.
:   Thanks for any info. in advance.

:           Simon.

: --

: Dr. Simon Dawson       TEL:+44 (0)115 9249924 ex. 44787
: Dept. of Biochemistry  FAX:+44 (0)115 9422225
: Queens Medical Centre  Email:Simon.Dawson at .nott.ac.uk
: Clifton Boulevard      http://www.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk/~mbzspd/Simon.html
: Nottingham
: U.K.                   "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" - Bill Murray.

Try serum deprivation, either no serum or low serum.

--
L. Scot Bastian Ph.D.			206-762-1010 ext. 1918 (voice)
University of Washington at the         206-764-2689 (FAX)