Ethanol precipitations: disposable 30 ml tubes?

Harry J. Witchel Harry.Witchel at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Jan 28 11:36:08 EST 1996

Greetings Ferocious Mages of Nucleic Acids--

	I fear I have a contamination problem, so I would like to find a brand
of disposable tube which can be spun quickly.  I fear that plasmids from
my maxipreps of probe plasmids may get into my RNA preps.  I do all my larger
ethanol precipitations (> 15 mls) in a small set of 30 ml corex tubes I have.
 I would like to use a disposable tube for these ethanol precipitations, but I
think that falcon blue tubes would fall to pieces at the speeds (12,000 rpm in
an SS-34 rotor) which I find useful for precipitating small quantities of DNA
(100 micrograms) out of 25 mls of solution.  Is there an appropriate tube/spin
system for ethanol precipitations of larger volumes using disposable tubes.

	I don't think that washing up is a solution to the problem, because
currently after using the corex tubes, I rinse them with water, soak them
overnight with 10% (v/v) HCl to the brim, then I wash the tubes normally in
soapy water etc. using a reserved set (ie post acid) of bottle brushes.
Finally the tubes are baked at 180C for 7 hours.

	Many thanks,
	Harry

Harry.Witchel at Bristol.AC.UK