Need a rapid method to check transgenicity in mice? in mice

Gary K. gtk10583 at
Mon Jan 29 08:45:09 EST 1996

In article <1996Jan29.124016.3925 at>, Mirta Grifman
<mirtag at> wrote:

> In our lab the standard method is to tail the mice and extract DNA from
> the tail and then PCR with primers for the transgene. The protocol seems
> quite old-fashioned and takes too much time. Wouldn't it be possible to
> cut some hairs and PCR from them? I would very much appreciate any help
> on this.
> Mirta Grifman

There is a reference in Biotechniques (1991 Vol.10, No.4, pp.506-513) for
doing PCR on hair samples as well as other unusual samples.

Hope this helps,