DNA purification from clinical samples

LAU Tze Chin tclau at ha.org.hk
Tue Jan 30 22:24:42 EST 1996

Dear netters,

I am gonna purify DNA from clinical samples, particularly biospy in
parffin sections, for pcr detection of mycobacteria.

In an article about dna purification from clinical samples(J Clin
Microbiol 1990, 28(3): 495-503),  Dr. R.Boom suggests using silica for
urine or serum which contain less cells. While for cell rich
sources,such as biospy materials, celites (diatom) is the choice, because
the particle size is larger, and the dna-celite pellet would be
physically less compact and be much easier to be resuspended for
subsequent dna elution.

Can anyone advise me where to get celites (diatom)? What particle size
range should I go for.

Coridal thanks.