DNA precipitation

Joe Bateman Joseph.Bateman at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 07:35:22 EST 1996

Dear everyone,
                I am a molecular biology first year PHd student and
therefore carry out procedures such as bacterial minipreps on a day to day
basis. One thing which has been puzzling me is the chemical interaction
between the alcohol, for example ethanol or isopropanol, and DNA which
causes the DNA to precipitate and come out of solution. I am aware that the
addition of sodium acetate allows the sodium salt of DNA to form enabling
its aggregation but am unsure of the chemistry behind the actual DNA
precipitation. If anyone could shed any light on this subject I would be
interested to hear from them.

yours confused,

joseph.bateman at ucl.ac.uk

Joe. Bateman