MJ-Research DNA Engine

Rick Nicholson R.Nicholson at cfi.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jul 2 23:39:15 EST 1996

We had some early temperature problems with our DNA Engine.  It seems
that they were caused by adding mineral oil to the wells in the block.
This practice was recommended in the early versions of MJR's manual.
They later determined that this oil actually was not good for the
machine and later versions of the manual do not recommend adding
mineral oil to the wells.  Unfortunately they failed to inform those
of us who had already bought the machine until we complained about it
not working properly anymore.  They replaced the faulty block and it
has worked perfectly, oil free, ever since.  I insisted that they give
me an internal-sample probe which I use to periodically confirm that
temperatures are remaining correct across the block.  I am very happy
with the machine now and have just bought another one, and also a
neighboring lab which has previously used ours has purchased one for
themselves and are very happy with it.
--
Richard C. Nicholson, BSc PhD
Senior Research Fellow