New BIOSCI Sun server is online!

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Mon Jul 8 20:35:13 EST 1996

I'm pleased to announce that, as of this past Sunday, BIOSCI is
operating on its new 4-processor Sun Sparcserver 20 thanks to our
sponsorship from Sun Microsystems and the dedicated work of Dave Mack,
the BIOSCI systems administrator.

The changeover has noticably improved response time for BIOSCI staff
working on the machine and has resolved problems that we were having
with the news server over the last two weeks.  We will be testing our
various services as quickly as the time that we can devote to the
project permits.

Because we are resource-limited these days following the end of our
government funding, it is more important than ever that users report
problems that they discover to

		       biosci-help at net.bio.net

We do not have resources for exhaustive quality assurance and need
your feedback.  We have not yet reindexed the newsgroups and are aware
that some of our larger newsgroup indexes such as METHODS are still
dropping common terms that have exceeded the indexing limit.  We will
make an announcement when this problem is fixed.  I have also
discovered today that the address database WAIS index is broken, so no
need to report that problem either.  This one should be fixed soon.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				biosci-help at net.bio.net