Cutting glass for sequencing plates?

Roopie Toops RMCMAHON at ollamh.ucd.ie
Wed Jul 10 12:56:35 EST 1996

The glass plates of our sequencing rig have been very badly chipped
at the corners. New plates from the supplier of this rig are 20 pounds
per plate. So, we got 5 sets cut locally (10 plates) which only cost
about 15 pounds, and the glass doesn't chip. However, it seems that
the glass warps rather quickly, and it becomes increasingly difficult
to pour a gel without bubbles, and for the gel not to smile when
running. Does any body else get their own plates cut, and if so do you
use a special kind of glass? or any other tips?
Thanks, Ruth.