electroporation of cosmids

Elke egreif at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 11 11:19:47 EST 1996

We electroporate E. coli all the time with normal sized vectors using the
standard conditions i.e. 1.25-1.8 kV with 0.1 cm cuvettes. We are now
thinking of testing a cosmid ligation (cosmid is 4.5 kb, inserts are 35-45
kb) by direct electroporation into E. coli as we don't want to waste
anymore packaging extracts until we know we are gettting a fair number of
recombinant cosmids from the ligation.

Question - Should we use different electroporation conditions for such
large plasmids? Different voltage? Increase or decrease pulse time?

Dave Boyd

Hey, hey, hey, hey! It was the DNA.
Hey, hey, hey, hey! That made me this way.