Sure way to quantify Northern blots

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 11 13:32:44 EST 1996

In article <31e51b83.238099 at news.ulaval.ca>,
   jfl at rsvs.ulaval.ca (Jean-Francois Larrivee) wrote:
->Does anyone have a sure way to quantify Northern blots?
->
->I'm having some trouble with the reproductibility of my results. I
->used to use a chromoscan and scan my autoradiograms, but it's very
->time consuming, not very effective and since I'm not the only one that
->uses the chromoscan, it's always uncalibrated.
->
->I plan to scan the autoradiograms on a computer scanner and then
->analyse them with a dedicated software.
->
->Are there any good PC-compatible software around to analyse these
->data?

Anything will be fine as long as you have calibration curve with
your standard obtained in parallel with samples. Adobe Photoshop,
for example, will do. Without calibration, even specialized
hardware/software costing lots of $ does not assure correct results.

- Dima