DEAE transfection

John Troyer nestgrp at
Fri Jul 12 08:09:33 EST 1996

Philippe Lefebvre <plefebvre at> wrote:

>Hi everybody
>Is there someone nice enough to tell me more about DEAE-dextran transfection of HeLa
>cells.  I am looking for a detailled protocol that will undoubtly save a few weeks
>of work!  Thanks in advance for your help!!
>Dr Phil Good

DEAE-dextran has worked very well in my hands for human epithelial
cells.  The transfection is very easy to perform and the percentage
has always been good.  I have used two references for this method:

1) McMutchan, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 41:351-357 (1968)

2) Stenberg J Virol 56:676-682  (1985)

These publications should give you a good feel for the method.  If
they do not give you what you are looking for, I would be happy to
send you my method for you to look at as well.

Hope this helps,

 John K. Troyer, Ph.D.    The Nest Group, Inc.
 Orders: 800-347-6378     Tech Support: (410)625-3782
          e-mail: nestgrp at
Visit our WWW Page at